Google has partnered with Open Technology Institute, PlanetLab Consortium and other academic researchers to release tools designed for measuring the performance of your internet connection, developed under the Measurement Lab.
- Network Diagnostic Tool (NDT) – measures your broadband speeds and identifies common network problems
- Glasnost – tests if your ISP is throttling or blocking BitTorrent traffic
- Network Path and Application Diagnosis (NPAD) – diagnoses some of the common problems effecting the last network mile and end-users’ systems
- DiffProbe (coming soon) – tests to see if your ISP is prioritizing or degrading certain traffic (traffic shaping)
- NANO (coming soon) – attempts to detect whether an ISP is degrading the performance of a certain subset of users, applications, or destinations
These tools are essential to helping you figure out if you are getting the internet service from your provider that you paid for.